QLD What are My Rights When Interacting with Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

xxx

23 July 2015
If you are stopped on the street by police, do you have to answer all their questions, such as where are you going? Where do you work? Also, can they compel you to turn off something like an action camera (something I'd prefer to stay on when interacting with police)?

What are my rights under Australian Law when interacting with police on the street?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth

xxx

23 July 2015
Thank you, that's very helpful.

Says in there that the only things you have to answer in a general sense is your name and address, and they have to warn you before asking that giving a false name or address is an offence under law. Any other questions have to be related to the reason they stopped you, some law they think you've broken, if I understand correctly. If they start asking random questions, such as where you are going or where you work, you don't have to answer?

Also, in regards to my action cam recording question, it says on pg 17 that you can 'secretly record' police or anyone else, it's just that there are strict rules on who you can show the recording to. The camera is your property, and you can do whatever you like with it. I would think, if they don't like being recorded they should move on? I don't recall the police ever being able to get the Press to turn off their cameras, why would it be different for anyone else?