NSW Unpaid money

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Laki

29 July 2021
I have worked for the company as a sole trader and they have not paid my last month money. I have found they did same to some other people as well. its not a big amount but I do not want to let it go. as they are keep doing this. I have found this company submitted voluntary deregistration in ASIC and I know they open a new company under another name. So I have talked to a Fair work legal adviser and he advised me to send them a demand letter. I did send the letter and did not get my money yet. when I ask money he sent me a message saying if you call me again, you will not see the payment. what are the option that I can take against this guy. not just to recover my money, to help others to not to get involve with this guy.

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi Laki, if they ignored your letter of demand, they may not to a lawyer's letter of demand. Might be worth a try if you balance up how much that may cost versus the amount you are owed.

Laki

29 July 2021
Hi Paul,
No I sent a lawyer's letter of demand through law firm. when I talked to lawyer they said they can go for next stage and it will cost around $600. they owe $1200 so I was looking is there any other option that I can report them and get my money.

Thanks in advance

Tracey2trn

25 February 2021
I had the same situation with a company I worked for. They didn't pay me for the last month of my job (I told them 2 weeks earlier that I'm gonna leave). I wanted to give my money back peacefully but they refused all the time. Lawyer's services cost a lot and I don't think it worths my time and mental health. Gave up eventually.

Laki

29 July 2021
Hello Tracey,

I contact debt collector and they collected my money within one week. I had to pay some money but if they could not collect you do not have to pay anything. do not ever give up on your hard earned money. I will not let them get away. because they will keep doing the same thing to some one as well.

Tracey2trn

25 February 2021
I understand your position but sometimes it makes sense to let them get away, especially if you don't have enough power to make them pay legally. I've contacted a debt collector but somehow he failed to collect money for me...probably this company is in conspiracy with him but I'm not sure. I learned at greedyrates.ca about the ways to deal with such cases, but should I waste my time and money on fighting for the salary if I have now a better job? I honestly don't know. You're probably a much more stable person than I am, and you have enough courage for this. Not my case...