NSW Unpaid Debt - How to Get Money Back from Boyfriend?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rhiann.on

27 July 2017
Hi

From 2013 until 2015, I lent money to an ex boyfriend to pay for vehicle parts and paid for a trip to Europe. Before I lent him the money for the vehicle parts, we made an agreement he would pay me back. He never did.

The European holiday we agreed to pay half and I ended up paying for the whole thing. He owes me roughly $35,000. I sent him text messages at the end of last year trying to get the money back and he eludes to the fact that he owes me money saying words like "that's not a real amount considering I have paid majority of that back" and "I gave you an option I'll pay you a further $1000 if you give me back the ring" and "I will kill myself before you see the money".

My parents heard the verbal agreements. Is this enough to take it further? He also owes my dad a debt for unpaid board and my dad kept a log of that.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If you add it all together, you may have enough to convince a court that he owes you something. Exactly how much will depend on the details.

The Europe trip may be a problem. If you don't have a clear agreement there, it may be construed (at least in part) as a gift.

Rhiann.on

27 July 2017
Would it help that both my parents heard some of the conversation and will be prepared to come to court?

Rhiann.on

27 July 2017
I have everything on my bank statements too for the European holiday to prove I paid for all of it and I had to borrow money off my dad and get into an $8000 dollar credit card debt in Europe as I wasn't expecting to have to pay for it all of it. This all happened whilst I was overseas

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Possibly. It would depend on the weight the court puts on it, and whether it stands up to any cross examination.