QLD Unlicensed Driver Crashed our Car - Liable for Damages?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Diane H

24 December 2014
Stuff it, issue a summons. There will be a section of the court that handles relatively minor matters in an informal way (ie no lawyers).

As liability will be clear, you'll win that one. There will be police report somewhere that you'll want to get a copy of.

As the person is now refusing to pay, you might as well go the full way. Legal action will also put a black mark on her credit record for the next 5 or 6 years.

Also, claim the full amount. Give half to a suitable charity once it's been paid (eg spinal rehab place).

Actually, this one gets interesting... it's just occurred to me that the person was under 18 at the time. This might make her parents liable for this. Speak with them.
Stuff it, issue a summons. There will be a section of the court that handles relatively minor matters in an informal way (ie no lawyers).

As liability will be clear, you'll win that one. There will be police report somewhere that you'll want to get a copy of.

As the person is now refusing to pay, you might as well go the full way. Legal action will also put a black mark on her credit record for the next 5 or 6 years.

Also, claim the full amount. Give half to a suitable charity once it's been paid (eg spinal rehab place).

Actually, this one gets interesting... it's just occurred to me that the person was under 18 at the time. This might make her parents liable for this. Speak with them.

Thank you so much for your reply Phildo. I will look into how to go about issuing a summons, especially if it saves me legal fees! And I love the suggestion to give half to charity....that would give me great closure. You've lifted my spirits.......I will be sure to post the outcome :)

Phildo

1 November 2014
I love the suggestion to give half to charity.

I want to buy some cool stuff for my car.

I'll send you my bank details.

Be as charitable as you want.

:D

(Actually, I'd like to be a fly on the wall if it turns out that the 16yo's parents are legally liable. Be sure to look into that one.)