Trying to pre-empt a dispute over joint ownership of my car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BubblegumBlue

31 December 2021
Hi all,

About two years ago I was given a second-hand, old (late 90s) car by my mother. In case her own car was ever damaged or written off, the car was registered and insured in both our names. Roughly nine months ago, after my relationship with her had turned abusive, I left home with not much else than the clothes I was wearing, my car, my computer and my bicycle. In the time since, I've contacted her twice about getting my stuff back, being refused each time until I spoke to the landlord and finally got through. I need to give the landlord a list of things I'll be taking, one of which is the vehicle's registration papers, which will likely cause an issue because of the joint registration (she's held this over me in the past). She paid for the first year of registration and insurance, but I've paid for a year and a half of rego and two years of insurance for it.

I'm worried that she's going to use the joint registration as a way of trying to prevent me from getting my things back, as I need my car more than I need what I left behind. I don't know if I can prove ownership. The car was a gift, but it was paid for by her, and the original registration form and receipt are likely both still in my old room (and I'll have to notify the landlord if I want to take them, especially seeing as my mother has a claim to them). I do have an email from her saying that it was bought for me, but I don't know if that's proof. Even if its, I don't know that I could pay for a lawyer if she wanted to turn this into a legal matter.

I'm fully willing to pay for ownership/sole registration of the car, but I don't know that she'll actually agree to that.

sammy01

27 September 2015
what state are you in? I'm thinking you should be able to do everything through the state's car registry office. By-pass having the discusion. Then see if you can sell the car. Get rid of it, buy something else of similar value and register it under your own name.

BubblegumBlue

31 December 2021
what state are you in? I'm thinking you should be able to do everything through the state's car registry office. By-pass having the discusion. Then see if you can sell the car. Get rid of it, buy something else of similar value and register it under your own name.
I'm in Queensland. I'm not quite sure what the car's worth, it was bought for 1k which seemed like a good deal but it's had almost nonstop issues. Probably can't afford to buy something else, as I'm currently only working part-time and will be returning to Uni this year.

Also, I would have thought I'd be unable to remove her name from the registration without her say?

sammy01

27 September 2015
1000? stress less. She isn't gonna take you to court. Eventually the car will break down. You will sell it to a car wrecker for parts and get a few hundred dollars. Use the $$$ to buy a bike.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I'm in Queensland. I'm not quite sure what the car's worth, it was bought for 1k which seemed like a good deal but it's had almost nonstop issues. Probably can't afford to buy something else, as I'm currently only working part-time and will be returning to Uni this year.

Also, I would have thought I'd be unable to remove her name from the registration without her say?
In the current used car market, which is quite inflated and generally askew,
then to a dealer, a thousand dollar car is worth near to nothing.
At most, it's worth only what some mug will pay for it in a private sale.
Look, if it's a thousand dollar car, and (fuel excepted) you are spending any more than a few hundred a year
(eg on servicing, and periodic consumables like globes and brake pads), then you are just pouring money into a hole.
If you're spending big money on actual car repairs (as distinct from routine servicing), then think seriously about stopping.

In circumstances like yours - economic marginality, and stuck with a money-pit cheap car,
people often scrimp on insurance.
You say it's insured - are you sure?
Are you personally (one of) the insured?
If you do not have it insured for, at least, TPPD - yes, in your name - then frankly, you can't afford to be on the road anyway.
(for the benefit of those who read this thread later, there is some info about car insurance in Queensland here)

I know you said that you need a car.
But maybe, just maybe, your way out of this
is to park the car in her driveway,
and walk away from it.

BubblegumBlue

31 December 2021
In the current used car market, which is quite inflated and generally askew,
then to a dealer, a thousand dollar car is worth near to nothing.
At most, it's worth only what some mug will pay for it in a private sale.
Look, if it's a thousand dollar car, and (fuel excepted) you are spending any more than a few hundred a year
(eg on servicing, and periodic consumables like globes and brake pads), then you are just pouring money into a hole.
If you're spending big money on actual car repairs (as distinct from routine servicing), then think seriously about stopping.

In circumstances like yours - economic marginality, and stuck with a money-pit cheap car,
people often scrimp on insurance.
You say it's insured - are you sure?
Are you personally (one of) the insured?
If you do not have it insured for, at least, TPPD - yes, in your name - then frankly, you can't afford to be on the road anyway.
(for the benefit of those who read this thread later, there is some info about car insurance in Queensland here)

I know you said that you need a car.
But maybe, just maybe, your way out of this
is to park the car in her driveway,
and walk away from it.
My situation with money isn't dire, after leaving home I landed in a pretty decent living situation with a friend's family. I make enough to pay taxes and my board is cheap, but a lot of my cash has been tied up with repairing the car, fixing my teeth and in the next couple of months, new glasses. Insurance is in my name as the main driver, covered for fire, theft and third party. The repair bills were... honestly horrifically expensive, but I can mitigate them in future by taking it to the local technical college (parts are cheap and the labor is free because it's students). I think that may work as an interim solution, if it continues to be a money sink I'll definitely do what you said and just leave it for her to deal with.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll just ignore the situation for now and keep driving until/unless she does something. If I can get through the next couple of months before I'm back at Uni, I can just take the bus if need be when that time comes.