VIC Treated Unfairly - Excluded From Work Pt Sessions

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

M.G.M

11 September 2014
My question is: everyone at my work has been asked to do training sessions with PT which the company is paying for, but i was the only one not asked if i wanted to join, i have brought to the attention of my boss, he has agreed to give me voucher, shoud the voucher be the same vaule of the PT sessions? Also I havent had a pay rise since i started here 5years ago, i did ask for the first time ever i didnt get the pay rise no reason was given.

many thanks

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
MGM,

I would think the voucher probably should be to the same value as the PT session. If not, I would ask why not?

And as for a pay rise, I would be surprised you weren't entitled to one in 5 years. I would ask again about it and push for an adequate answer. The FWO - the Fair Work Ombudsman may be assist with what you should be entitled to be paid.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

M.G.M

11 September 2014
MGM,

I would think the voucher probably should be to the same value as the PT session. If not, I would ask why not?

And as for a pay rise, I would be surprised you weren't entitled to one in 5 years. I would ask again about it and push for an adequate answer. The FWO - the Fair Work Ombudsman may be assist with what you should be entitled to be paid.

Hope that helps.

Paul.
I will give it one more try thank you so much Paul

Owens Lawyers

13 June 2014
Hi @M.G.M

In regards to a pay rise, there is no automatic right to one, no matter how long you work. As long as you are paid the minimum wage, award or enterprise agreement rate, then the employer does not need to offer more. You should check whether you are currently being paid at least the minimum.

Your employer can exclude you from benefits given to others (unless you have a specific entitlement), as long as it's not for discriminatory reasons, (sex, race, religion, age etc), because you made a workplace complaint, or for some other protected reason.

M.G.M

11 September 2014
Hi @M.G.M

In regards to a pay rise, there is no automatic right to one, no matter how long you work. As long as you are paid the minimum wage, award or enterprise agreement rate, then the employer does not need to offer more. You should check whether you are currently being paid at least the minimum.

Your employer can exclude you from benefits given to others (unless you have a specific entitlement), as long as it's not for discriminatory reasons, (s*x, race, religion, age etc), because you made a workplace complaint, or for some other protected reason.

hi, the reason that i was given by the staff member that arranged the training sessions was that, becasue i was the only girl in the office i wouldnt feel comfortable training with the boys. so i believe its genda discrimination (i should of been given a choice to join or not regardless who's paying) and its not the first time its happened. I onced asked if i could go to lunch with the boys i was told no becasue im a girl and they talk about men stuff... my employer knows how i feel but does nothing about it, its a small company if i take it further i fear that i will lose my job and wont be able to get another job as my boss is very well known... to be honest i dont mind working its just im not part of team i dont know what do... im sick of feeling left out because im not one of the boys .. thank you for your reply much appreciated.

Owens Lawyers

13 June 2014
In that case you may have a claim for discrimination. You can make a complaint to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (HREOC) or the Vic state equivalent, or a General Protections dispute claim to the Fair Work Commission, alleging you were treated adversely for discriminatory reasons.

I'd urge you to get legal advice. It is also a breach of the General Protections if you are treated adversely (including dismissal) because you make a complaint.