QLD Trafficking a Dangerous Drug in Qld - Nephew Charged

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

char

17 June 2014
Does anyone know what the minimum sentences under criminal law are for the charge trafficking dangerous drugs in qld?

char

17 June 2014
Yes I did. My nephew was selling hydro, he did his deals thru msg on this phone and Facebook. Scared for him. He is also on parole. Silly boy, with a baby on the way.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Char,
Was the "dangerous drug" a Schedule 1 "hard drug" or a Schedule 2 drug?
I assume that your nephew was charged with trafficking under section 5 of the Drugs Misuse Act 1986 (Qld).
If your nephew was charged under the Drugs Misuse Act 1986 (Qld), there is no minimum penalty - only a maximum penalty:
  • Trafficking of a Schedule 1 drug - up to 25 years imprisonment; and
  • Trafficking of a Schedule 2 drug - up to 20 years imprisonment.
Your nephew should consider engaging a criminal defence lawyer at your earliest opportunity.
If you don't have the means to pay for a lawyer, you may considering contacting Legal Aid Queensland (1300 65 11 88 or 07 3238 3444), the Caxton Legal Centre in South Brisbane or another member of the Queensland Association of Independent Legal Services (QAILS) at your earliest opportunity to better understand the potential penalties involved.
Please keep us updated as to your progress.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Char,
I'm not across drug lingo - but I assume that "hydro" refers to one of the following Schedule 2 drugs:
  • Cannabis
  • Hydrocodone
  • Hydromorphinol
  • Hydromorphone
  • Hydroxypethidine
  • Hydroxystenozol

char

17 June 2014
Yes, cannabis, I have made a appointment was a crimmal lawyer in Townsville, where we are, for Thursday so I'll let everyone know what he says then. Thank you john r.