VIC Traffic Law - Failure to Produce Valid Ticket on Metro Trains Melbourne

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

susanc

15 October 2014
I refuse to pay fine for not having valid ticket. I touch on and off every day and this day it didn't work. They ignored my plea to withdraw (even the police give you a chance) and called me a fare evader and i'm not. I have now received an enforcement order notice and want to know what happens next under Traffic Law.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The choice is yours to make: Pay fine or go to court.

Also see this Traffic Law Forum thread “Metro Trains Penalty - Failing to Produce Valid Ticket”.

If going to court you can challenge the validity/accuracy of the touch on/off readers. You can also present a history of your trips and payments as proof you are a regular traveller and that you are a regular payer. If electing to go to court make sure you are well prepared.

susanc

15 October 2014
The choice is yours to make:

Pay fine or go to court.

If going to court you can challenge the validity/accuracy of the touch on/off readers. You can also present a history of your trips and payments as proof you are a regular traveller and that you are a regular payer. If electing to go to court make sure you are well prepared.
thanks for your response but I have passed up the opportunity to go to court. I am at the stage of waiting for the sherriff and was wondering what to expect.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Sheriffs have seizure powers and have the backing of the law. Sheriffs can sometimes be accompanied by the police.

Recommend you revisit the opportunity to go to court and have the matter heard there.

Reactions: susanc