NSW Traffic Law - Drivers Licence Suspended

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

P1996

28 September 2014
Hi, I was just wondering if there would be any point in me appealing in court for my license suspension to be shortened or wiped..
I am a p1 driver (red p plater) and I was caught speeding and lost 3 points, I have 4 points as a red p plater but the law now says if you're court speeding on any licence other then a full licence it's an automatic suspension.
I read somewhere if your of good character and need your drivers licence for work you can appeal, is this true? And are my circumstances enough to qualify..?

I do not have a bus stop within at least a 4km radius.. And I work in town.. I'm not sure if this would be good enough reason under Traffic Law?

Help! I would love my drivers licence back over Christmas :(

Thank you

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi P1996,

In NSW there is no such thing as a work licence. Your only option is to appeal to court.

See Justice Law Assist (NSW Government) for more information on this point.

Owens Lawyers

13 June 2014
Hi @P1996

The success of any appeal will depend on your traffic record and how strong your need for a licence is. Some magistrates in NSW are fond of giving P-platers a second chance.

Consider also doing the Traffic Offenders Program. And don't forget there is a 28 day time limit to appeal.

Reactions: Rod