Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Traffic Law - Chances of Contesting Speeding Fines?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Daniel84, 26 April 2016.

  1. Daniel84

    Daniel84 Member

    26 April 2016
    Likes Received:
    Hi, I am wondering what my options/chances are of contesting/reducing my speeding fines in Traffic Law court, or could I get a good behaviour period?

    On the 24/04/16, I was recorded on my bike doing a speed of 112 in a 70 zone on Mt. Nebo Rd,QLD. I overtook a car going down a hill in a legal area to do so, as I got to the bottom of the hill and started up the hill. I saw a policeman walk out onto the road I knew I was speeding but I don't believe the amount alleged.

    There was another motorcyclist riding just behind me and he got pulled over and caught doing 108 (I think) he was just on one side of the threshold and I was on the other meaning I received a type 2 vehicle-related offence. There were two police and they both had radar guns.

    As for my driving history, a little over 2 years ago, I lost 1 demerit point.

    Is this something I could attempt myself and if not what would be the fees ?

    Thank you for your time.
  2. Victoria S

    Victoria S Well-Known Member

    9 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Daniel84,

    Unfortunately speeding offences are deemed by the police to be life threatening offences and therefore there is no provision for Infringement Notices to be withdrawn or for the issuing of warnings or cautions on the basis of a good driving history.

    Also you cannot dispute a ticket on the basis that you were only speeding because you were going down a hill (the physical characteristics of the road should not determine the speed of your vehicle you are still bound by the limit) or the fact that you were overtaking a vehicle (again you are still required to not exceed the speed limit).

    The only basis upon which you could dispute the fine is if you could prove that the speed recording devices were faulty. You can subpoena service records to ascertain whether they were correctly calibrated, but if you were both clocked going a fair bit over I doubt this would get you far.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gyl713

    Gyl713 Member

    3 October 2016
    Likes Received:

    I'm never going up nebo again. It's full of cops.

Share This Page