NSW Traffic Law - Action to Take Against Car Driver Insulting Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jermy

30 March 2015
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right category, but here it is.

I would like to know what action I can take against someone insulting me on the road while I am riding a motorbike and they drive a car under Traffic Law. In my situation, while I was riding and my mirror hit his car side mirror at the traffic lights, nothing happened to his vehicle at all and all it did to me was moving, not a single scratch.

For you who don't know, it is allowed in NSW to ride between cars at the traffic lights until you reach the traffic light, this helps during traffic jam. The driver started swearing and then threatened me to ride in front of him as he will run me over, (I know it is his anger speaking), but I want to know what action can I take if this thing happens to me again.

Thanks

S

Sophea

Hi,

It is an offence in NSW to engage in predatory driving, which includes very aggressive driving, tailgating and road rage. Road rage itself is not illegal, but when there is road rage with threat of physical harm then it becomes predatory driving. There must be threat of impact and intent to cause harm though.