VIC Traffic Infringement Notice - Three Fines in One Trip?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Plunderdome67

20 March 2017
My daughter made the mistake of driving thru the Burnley Tunnel without realising the restrictions were changed down to 40 kmph.I know ignorance is no defence but she received 3 fines,1 from each of the speed cameras in the Burnley Tunnel. I was under the assumption that you could only receive 1 traffic infringement notice for a trip through the tunnel.

Can you please help?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I believe the Victorian Police have guidelines that set out the enforcement of multiple infringements. You can apply for an internal review in accordance with Section 22 of the Infringements Act 2006 INFRINGEMENTS ACT 2006 - SECT 22 Application for internal review

I haven't managed to find the Victorian Police guidelines mentioned here: Victoria Police - Official warnings

But I have read that if you have been fined multiple times in a single journey in the same speed zone you can apply for an internal review.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
My daughter made the mistake of driving thru the Burnley Tunnel without realising the restrictions were changed down to 40 kmph.I know ignorance is no defence but she received 3 fines,1 from each of the speed cameras in the Burnley Tunnel. I was under the assumption that you could only receive 1 fine for a trip thru the tunnel. Can you please advise?
My understanding is that one fine should apply as long as it is the same speed zone.