QLD Time of Speeding Fines Didn't Match Up - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

badds

11 January 2017
Hi,

I received speeding fines in the mail today for doing 112km/h in a 100km/h zone at 5:11pm, however, I didn't finish work until 5:30pm. I did drive along that section of the road but not until around 5:40pm.

Does anybody have any idea what to do here?

I was able to find this out with my Samsung phone and recently discovered that is tracks through Google maps where I travel to and from and at what time I do so. Also, the fact I write down the time I start and finish at work.

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Either pay the fine or ask for a review or fight it in court. Have you seen photographic evidence?

Asking for a review and giving the reason why, may mean the police reissue the ticket with a different time on it (ie they fixed a typo/whatever excuse) and you are stuffed (excuse the legalese).

If you elect to take it to court and produce evidence showing where you were at the time of the offence, and that you had sole possession of the car, you may get off. It will take 2 or 3 trips to court to prove your innocence.

Or you give the government some revenue through use of their roadside tax cameras and move on.