Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Time Frame for Divorce and Property Settlement?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Curt Mountain, 21 April 2016.

  1. Curt Mountain

    Curt Mountain Member

    21 April 2016
    Likes Received:
    My ex-wife has asked me to sign the divorce papers. We have been separated for over 12 months. I am happy to do so. We have a house that is for sale and has been on the market for 18 months. It could take up to 2 or 3 years to sell. It is in a community and most places take that long to sell.

    So my question is that if I sign the papers, then the house sells after the 12-month period and she goes back on the verbal agreements of splitting the money, can I go to court to get the money? Or should I wait until house sells and if I'm happy with the property settlement, sign divorce papers.

    Wanting to know my legal standing.
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    forget the verbal agreement. Get legally enforceable agreement that stipulates both how the home is to be divided, but also a mechanism for agreeing to price, responsibility for paying rates, mortgage etc until it sells AND that neither of you will make a claim on any other assets / superannuation etc that you might possess...

Share This Page