NSW Theft - How To Prevent Carers From Stealing My Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

pollyorana

24 February 2015
I am house bound and have several carers coming in to my home. Often they are replacement for regular carers. Recently, some articles disappeared including a cheque book. As I do not know when they disappeared, I could not do anything about it. I did not have any evidence or suspicions.

My question is this:
Would it be ok for me to have in writing that the person entering my home is aware that I can check their bag before they leave to prevent theft? I plan to show them the letter when they arrive. I think this would also give them security as I would not be suspicious of them. If so, could you suggest how to word the statement?

Thank you.

S

Sophea

Hi there, I don't see any issue with having an individual sign a letter agreeing to allow you to inspect their bag on departure, however you may also want to clear it with their employer - the company that arranges the carers to attend to you.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Pollyorana,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel at risk of theft from carers coming into your home. I agree with Sophea on both parts of her response and in particular that you should get in contact with the organisation that is employing the carers. Have you told them about the disappearances and the dates that you noticed the items disappeared? They should be supporting you to make sure that you are safe.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Pollyorana,

I agree with the above two responses. You are free to ask the carers to sign this permission. If they agree, you are then able to check their bags. However, note that they are free to refuse to sign the permission notice. They are also free to refuse to let you go through their bags or show you their bag. Like Sophea and Ivy said, I would discuss these concerns with the company you use to send/find these careers. Is it possible to arrange with the company to send you only permanent careers and substitute careers that you already know and have some prior career relationship with? This way, you can pre-approve the careers that come to your home.