VIC Share Accommodation - Theft of Property by Landlord

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lisalala

20 May 2015
Hello,
I just have a question regarding some stolen property - I have just moved from a share house in which i did not sign a lease, pay a bond etc. When i was leaving, I left my bike there with my sister (a tenant) as she had been riding it and was going to replace the wheels. When I came to pick it up, it was gone and my landlord had taken it and explained that he will only give it back if I pay him money for replacing the curtains when I left.

Since he has stolen this bike from my sister, a tenant at the residence where the bike was, what can I do to get it back? I shouldn't have to pay random fees that he is racking up because he knows the bike is expensive and he can sell it. That is theft!

What rights do I have? How can I proceed?

Thank you :)

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

Which State are you in?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Has the tenancy ended and all tenants moved out?
You may need to make a claim to VCAT. However I suggest you start by contacting Consumer Affairs Victoria and seeing whether they can help with a conciliation meeting, then you may need to contact the Tenants Union of Victoria who can help with advocacy.

You can call Consumer Affairs on 1300 55 81 81
You can reach the Tenants Union of Victoria on (03) 9416 2577. Their opening hours are here: contact - Tenants Union of Victoria