VIC Theft from Secure Car Park Cage - Body Corporate Liable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
6 April 2015
I had approx $8000 worth of goods stolen from my (alleged) secure car park cage (padlock broken and lock twisted) on the weekend. My new apartment premises requires a remote to enter the car park and has 24 hour CCTV at the entrance of the car park, I moved into these premises assuming I would have a large degree of security and I utilised the car space cage assuming that too.....I have informed the police of the break in and theft and they have attended the premises. I'm awaiting upon a police report.

Does the body corporate have any liability for not providing a secure building as I believed we were entering into. We are currently renting an apartment and the car space cage came with our apartment.

Thank you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Check the terms of your lease, but I suspect

(i) there will be language to the effect of "all care but no responsibility"; and
(ii) that even if they did have some sort of duty, how do you propose to show that they did not meet it,
given the controlled-access roller door and the CCTV system?

Reactions: Sophea