Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Theft from Secure Car Park Cage - Body Corporate Liable?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Chris Broderick, 6 April 2015.

1. Chris Broderick

I had approx $8000 worth of goods stolen from my (alleged) secure car park cage (padlock broken and lock twisted) on the weekend. My new apartment premises requires a remote to enter the car park and has 24 hour CCTV at the entrance of the car park, I moved into these premises assuming I would have a large degree of security and I utilised the car space cage assuming that too.....I have informed the police of the break in and theft and they have attended the premises. I'm awaiting upon a police report.

Does the body corporate have any liability for not providing a secure building as I believed we were entering into. We are currently renting an apartment and the car space cage came with our apartment.

Thank you.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Check the terms of your lease, but I suspect

(i) there will be language to the effect of "all care but no responsibility"; and
    (ii) that even if they did have some sort of duty, how do you propose to show that they did not meet it,
    given the controlled-access roller door and the CCTV system?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sophea likes this.