NSW Tax implication of distributing an estate differently to the Will

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CliffWalker

19 June 2023
I'm in NSW and the deceased's Will containing property in NSW is in my favour. But I'm agreeing to split the estate evenly with the executor who is in Queensland. We want to avoid a complex Deed by making an informal agreement. But the executor said her lawyer was worried that the executor's share of the estate might be taxed as a gift. Is this a real concern?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...I'm agreeing to split the estate evenly with the executor...
Why?
We want to avoid a complex Deed by making an informal agreement.
Why?
(also, this is probably as dumb as it is impractical, but we lack sufficient facts to be certain)
But the executor said her lawyer was worried that the executor's share of the estate might be taxed as a gift. Is this a real concern?
Maybe.
But I'd be thinking more about things like CGT events, and impacts on assets thresholds and deeming provisions.
In any event, what makes their tax position, your problem?

CliffWalker

19 June 2023
Maybe.
But I'd be thinking more about things like CGT events, and impacts on assets thresholds and deeming provisions.
In any event, what makes their tax position, your problem?
Those issues are sorted. The only thing we are not clear on is Gift Tax. We just heard that if half of the estate is distributed immediately to them, then it's not subject to Gift Tax, but if it is distributed to us, then to them, then it's subject to Gift Tax. Is that correct? (They are trusted family members, so no need for a deed.)

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Heard from whom?
Those issues are sorted. The only thing we are not clear on is Gift Tax. We just heard that if half of the estate is distributed immediately to them, then it's not subject to Gift Tax, but if it is distributed to us, then to them, then it's subject to Gift Tax. Is that correct? (They are trusted family members, so no need for a deed.)
Heard from whom?
I find it implausible that a lawyer who knows anything about tax would have used the term "Gift Tax"

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yup, that's where you want to be.