WA Taking a photo for evidence whilst driving

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

John2407

1 March 2018
Hi all
i have a scenario that i find interesting and would love an opinion.
A person driving a vehicle takes a photo on their mobile phone of a person who they think is commiting an offence. Can the defendent who has witnessed the plaintiff take the photo use the legal system to prosecute them for using a mobile whilst driving and can the plaintiffs photo ever be used as evidence???

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
(A) No. Infringements of traffic regulations can't be prosecuted by private citizens.
(B) Yes, but in submitting it they may be confessing to using a mobile phone while driving.

Reactions: John2407

Adam1user

5 January 2018
To overcome this issue, it is good to have a dashcam. This will accepted unlike using your mobile phone,
As for reporting an infringement, as Rob stated the one time is when there is an accident as a result (or damage) and the person taking the video will need to attend court.
I have a dashcam and I reported a taxi driver who went from far right of the road to the far left (3 lanes) and it was a miss accident, but I managed to move away, I went to the police to report it, (had the video and the licence plate), but the police informed as long as there is no accident they can not do anything.

John2407

1 March 2018
Thankyou Adam and Rob.
I have never really thoughy about the intricacies of law and how every action has a reaction. All very interesting. I have also recently heard of the courts trying to get family disputes to be worked out amongst themselves as it improves chances of resolution without resenent etc.

Clancy

6 April 2016
If you see a major crime being committed while driving, you should present yourself as a witness and then make a point of telling then you had an opportunity to take a picture with your phone safely but did not because the law is too ignorant to permit such action.