WA Superannuation - What is a Nominated Provider?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Choc59

12 January 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm a backpacker who worked for a vineyard company from the 9th June 2015 to the 21st August 2016. Now I'm back in my home country and I still haven't received the superannuation contributions since the 2015/2016 financial year has started (from the 1st July 2015, nothing had been paid, however, my payslip clearly mentions the amount of money due).

Email exchanges with the company say that there is a new process for businesses to pay the Superannuation (which, from my understanding is SuperStream). The company's employee wrote me that "if I was that concerned about getting my money, I should find out the account number for my nominated Provider, and they will deposit the money".

What is a nominated provider? My super account is a BTSuper account (from Westpac), and they already have these account details, since they paid the contributions for the 9th June/30th June 2015 period into that very same account. Should I just send them the same form with my super account details?

I have to say that I'm losing patience.

By the way, being a company employing more than 19 persons, they should already have changed to the SuperStream system a while ago. Why should employees (and former employees) suffer from this?

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
They may mean they need your USI because they have switched to superstream. You need to contact your super provider for the USI.

Choc59

12 January 2016
Hi Rod, thanks for your answer.

That must be the USI number indeed, I'll send them a new form provided by BT wich mentions the USI.

The form says that with all these details, employers will be able to process the payment according to the new SuperStream scheme. So I guess that will be ok!

Thanks again

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
If they don't pay it to you, inform them in a letter that you will write a letter to the Australian tax office who can then investigate for you.