NSW Stormwater Easement Access - Who Do We Approach for Permission?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Reactions: Lysa

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Based on what you've said, I'd suggest you follow Rod's link and look at: Chapter 5 with respect to Location D properties (particularly part 5.7)

MABLaw

12 February 2018
Ringwood
www.mablawyers.com
You can be responsible for the way water moves through your property and this sounds like a water egress problem from your land to theirs. Are you sure that it is a "stormwater" easement and not a drainage easement? Generally speaking, the person owns the land that the drain goes through, but the drain/pipes/etc belong to someone else (I would try contacting the water authority). The easement is simply a right to use the land. The next question is 'who has that right'? It may be the water authority/council, or it may be another neighbor so that they have access to connected pipes. A title search of the property may also assist i discovering who owns the pipes.

Lysa

11 September 2018
Apologies re my terminology. I am very much a novice at these matters.
The water I am trying to deal with is mainly water that is collected from my roof and gutters and piped out to a single point in my backyard where the pipe discharges into my neighbours property. There is also a lesser amount of water that is collected due to runoff from my long driveway and large cement turning area. This water is also discharging through the same series of pipes.
I have always referred to this as stormwater, but perhaps I am using the wrong terminology?
The easement in my neighbours property is also used for a similar purpose to what I have described above.