NSW Stormwater Easement Access - Who Do We Approach for Permission?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lysa

11 September 2018
I have question re stormwater easements.

My neighbours behind my house (and downhill from me) currently have a stormwater easement on their property that was granted (not sure of the right word to use) to another neighbour at the other side of their property.

Our ‘behind/downhill neighbours’ are complaining about our stormwater runoff but we have very few options regarding where we can direct our stormwater except along the same line as the current easement.

My questions are:

Is it legal to run a new pipe along the existing easement (alongside the current pipe) to accommodate our stormwater?

If yes, who do we approach for permission to use the easement? Our ‘behind neighbour’ who is the property owner, or the other party who has the access to the easement?

Apologies if these are basic questions, but I can’t seem to find the answer despite hours of google searching.

Many thanks

Tripe

22 May 2017
It’s not illegal for water to run down hill

Not sure what you are asking?

But council would be the first port of call.

Lysa

11 September 2018
It’s not illegal for water to run down hill

Not sure what you are asking?

But council would be the first port of call.

My understanding is that I must deal with my stormwater if it affects other properties. If so, then I must do something about it now my neighbour has complained.

Just to be clear, we currently have NO stormwater solution in place. All of our stormwater (including roof runoff) is collected and piped out of our back yard onto what was once vacant land, but now has been built on by the neighbours who are complaining.

We want to deal with this by extending our pipe along the existing easement and down into the street however our neighbours are reluctant and told us it is illegal for 2 pipes to both be in the same easement. We are wanting to fix the issue, but it is difficult to deal with these neighbours when I am unsure of the legalities.

Council doesn't want to know about it. They say it is a civil matter.

Tripe

22 May 2017
If your house was not there, where would the water go?

If it would naturally end up on the neighbors land due to gravity, I don’t think you would have anything to worry about.

Lysa

11 September 2018
If your house was not there, where would the water go?

If it would naturally end up on the neighbors land due to gravity, I don’t think you would have anything to worry about.
I thought that the fact that we are collecting the water and piping it out would change our obligations re how we dispose of the water. Our neighbour (well...our neighbour's son) has threatened to block the pipe. This would cause a lot of issues that we want to avoid.

I can sympathize with them, no-one wants their yard flooded in heavy rain, but I am running in circles trying to figure out how to resolve this. Ideally, I just want access to their easement to run a pipe through their property to the street, but before I lock horns with them, I want to know if it is even legal for 2 pipes to use the same easement.

Tripe

22 May 2017
If the house was not there, would the water naturally run off on the natural watercourse to your neighbours land? Or does the storm water discharge at another point?

Are you on acreage ? Or on a residential house block?

I’m struggling to workout why your not connected to council stormwater and why your council is not interested in your issues?

As for an easment, if your neighbor does not want it, how can you make them agree? As you need their consent? To burden their land.

Lysa

11 September 2018
If the house was not there, would the water naturally run off on the natural watercourse to your neighbours land? Or does the storm water discharge at another point?

Are you on acreage ? Or on a residential house block?

I’m struggling to workout why your not connected to council stormwater and why your council is not interested in your issues?

As for an easment, if your neighbor does not want it, how can you make them agree? As you need their consent? To burden their land.

Apologies. I was avoiding a long winded description (I didn't want to confuse the issue).

My house is on a battleaxe block, downhill from my street (my roof is about level with my street), in a residential area. There is no stormwater drainage in my street. However, I am only halfway down a hill and the neighbours behind me live in a street that runs along the bottom of the hill. That street does have stormwater drainage.

I have a neighbour directly behind me, who is not the neighbour I am referring to. If my house didn't exist, the house directly behind me would cop all the water. If my pipes were cut off at my fenceline, it is the neighbours directly behind that would get all the water.

The people who own the property with the easement are neighbours of those directly behind me, so our properties just touch on the diagonal.

My stormwater pipe existed before any of these properties were built upon, and it used to jut out into the never never and water ran down to the street below through the vacant land.

When people built directly behind me (many years ago), I was conscious that our pipe created a few issues during heavy rain but never heard anything about it.

A house in my street, a couple of doors up, was sold and nearly doubled in size after rennovation. At this time, I am guessing that the council insisted that stormwater provision was made despite no stormwater drainage in our street. Therefore they sought and were granted an easement on what was then an empty block of land (the owner had 2 side by side blocks and the house was on the other block). The easement runs the full length of the back boundary, then does a right angle turn where it meets our property before running down to the street. Where it meets our corner, there is a grated pit to (I guess) facilitate drain clearing etc if needed. Just after the easement drainage was completed, I approached the then owner to ask if my stormwater pipe could be extended a metre or so to hover over the grate of the easement, thus preventing some of the water runoff that was certainly going to the folks directly behind. Most of my water was already squirting out in the direction of the grate anyway, this just gave it a bit more direction. The owner of the land was happy with me doing that.

Fast forward. The vacant land was sold and a house built on the property. About 12 months ago we had a very bad storm and my stormwater washed away the landscaping of the 'diagonal' neighbours (as well as washing mud into the people directly behinds pool). That is when the diagonal neighbours started to complain. They did not want us to do anything re laying pipes on their property despite it being the overwhelmingly obvious solution.

I cannot run pipes to the street from the other side of my property, so I am trying to find out if it is true that 2 pipes cannot share an easement. If that is so, I am really in trouble, however if that is not the case, at least I just need to try and convince the diagonal neighbours to agree to my using the easement.

I just want to resolve this to everyone's satisfaction, but I need to know what I am dealing with from a legal perspective.

The council is probably avoiding the issue because they never planned the development of the area adequately in the first place. My house was built in 1960. Back then the area was peppered with market gardens and development was just starting to take off. Our street was a dirt road back then.....

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The council is responsible for managing stormwater and they should tell you where to run the stormwater. You can suggest what is the 'best' solution from your viewpoint and see if they accept it.

I'd put the request in writing so you have something on record.

Once they say where to run and tap into existing lines a plumber should arrange the rest including access to any other properties.

Lysa

11 September 2018
We have had lengthy 'off the record' discussions with council who insist it has nothing to do with them and that we must sort it out with the neighbours. Our neighbours got the same response when they approached council.

All I am really trying to find out is what my options are from a legal standpoint. That way when I try and talk to my neighbours again, I am armed with the facts.

I was considering approaching the person whose pipes run through the easement (ie not the property owner) to see if I could share/tap into their pipe. Our neighbours told us not to discuss this with them and it was illegal for us to tap into the same pipe. I do not know if this is true or not and cannot find any reference to it when trawling through google. Again, I want to know the legalities of this before attempting to come to an agreement with my neighbours.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
We have had lengthy 'off the record' discussions with council who insist it has nothing to do with them

Hence the need to go 'on record'.

Which council is it?