QLD Stolen Account Numbers Used to Purchase Phone - Sue Vodafone?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Madelaine

8 October 2015
Hello, my account numbers were stolen and used to purchase a phone through Vodafone. I've got one half sorted and they can't use it any more, but can I sue Vodafone for using my account details without my permission? Does it work like that? Or could the person just have said that this is their account?

Thanks,

S

Sophea

Hi Madelaine,

I have found the best way is to go through your bank and advise them that someone has made an unauthorised transaction on your account. They will often investigate it and reimburse the funds to you in a few weeks. Alternatively, you could try to go after Vodaphone yourself, but I think you will find will be much more difficult.

Haley

4 May 2014
Australia
Hi Madelaine

Have you tried contacting the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO)? Although they can't provide legal advice, they can tell you what certain companies are or are not allowed to do and may be able to pursue a course of action or give you some information to do so.