NSW Was wondering if I have grounds to proceed with legal action regarding the below circumstance, this regards telco Vodafone AU.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

KaySmith92

17 April 2020
Sorry in advance for the incredibly long message, and numerous typos.
In Jan 2020 I received a text from Vodafone saying I could upgrade my phone, I rang and confirmed with voda, I went into the store I ordered a phone to upgrade with on 36 month plan. I was told I would receive the phone within about 2 weeks. I received zero confirmations from Voda. Until I finally called them, I was told the phone had arrived, and was at the store, I went to collect it was not there. Days go by, I get zero news from Voda, and I ring and check again. The Voda employee tells me the phone is at the store. I go the store. The Voda employee goes to the back to get me the parcel. The employee asks if I want him to open the phone and check everything is present, I hesitate and ask him “why is there usually things missing?”, then I just say “ sure why not” he opens the box removes the phone box and it fall open, there are finger prints all over the phone, and the sticker seal are gone , it has clearly been used, the employee verbally says it looks like it has been used. Of course the employee says we will have to order you in another.

I wait again, no word from Voda, until I call them and check, Voda employee tells me the phone is at the store for me. I go into the store the employee tells me “ ohh I was going to contact you, we actually have no more of that phone in stock,, so unless you want the other phone?”….. I was speechless. I said: just cancel everything”. The employee says you will have to call and do that yourself to get out of the 36 months contract. I ring Voda I am incredibly rude, understandably, I have had enough. The Voda employee on the phone tries to convince me to stay to take a different phone, I tell her “ I just want to leave Vodafone the service is disgusting and please stop trying to push another phone on me, I do not want to spend more money”.. The employee tells me we can try to bring the price down a bit for this phone that is similar because of the crap I had to deal with. I hesitate then I agree. She says it will be sent to my house so I do not have to use my time and money going to the store again and again because Voda keeps telling me my phone has arrived. She says it will take 2 days to arrive to me. Of course it does not arrive.

I ring Voda multiple time they keep telling me they will escalate the problem and call me right back, they never do. I ring Toll they keep telling me they will escalate the problem and get back to me, they never do. During this time they started charging me the higher price for a phone I do not have,,,, I complained multiple times,,, before I finally got a reply , they agreed to waive my bill, because I do not have the phone. Also before I upgraded I paid $60 a month I had 100GB data… when they stuck me onto the upgrade 36 months contract my data went down to 60 GB data a month, I was aware of this ,,,, but this was on the understanding I would have my new phone,, but I do not have my phone, and I am still getting less data, I rang Voda the guy was like I can stick on extra data for this month, so next month I will get lower data again and still have no phone.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I know from personal experience trying to upgrade a phone in February that Covid -19 created MAJOR supply issues of most phones out of China .... Was told by telecom that I would not be able to get a phone for months.... I finished up having to by a phone outright & was lucky to get in just 1 day before Apple closed shops worldwide... That may have contributed to your issues

That said, you have been messed about, possibly more than warranted even in the current supply circumstances.... The process is to first take the issues up with your provider. If that does not solve the issue or you are still *reasonably* unsatisfied, then the next port of call is usually the telecommunications ombudsman...

I would be calling them... Going to be very difficult/impossible? to take a telco to court if that's what your thinking

KaySmith92

17 April 2020
I appreciate your response. I did consider the effect of covid, but the service I received did begin before the tighter restrictions. Also I do believe I will just tell them to cancel everything and just buy a phone outright. I was just curious whether I had any options. As you put it, I feel I was messed about,, but more then was necessary, to put it lightly haha, I even mentioned to the Voda employee only yesterday, that I would have just appreciated someone saying " we can not get you the phone just go somewhere else", and I would have, but the whole handling of the matter, has been something else.

Thank you again for your response, where ever you are stay safe :)

kind regards,
K