VIC Speeding Fines Issued While Sick - Dispute It?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bel1996

25 January 2017
Not sure if I'm posting in the right spot, but me and my two friends were driving from QLD to VIC over two days. On the second day, all three of us got gastro. I was the only one driving. We were pulling over every 20 minutes to vomit.

At about 11pm-12am, I was speeding to get home as quick as possible because we were just throwing up everywhere. I then got another speeding fine around 2am. We didn't want to go to a hospital because we knew it was just a stomach bug. There was no hotel rooms open at that time and we were in the middle of nowhere.

Is it possible to refute the speeding fines as we were all really sick and needed to get home as soon as possible. Or is it not worth it?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Not sure if I'm posting in the right spot but me and my two friends were driving from QLD to VIC Over two days. On the second day all three of us got gastro. I was the only one driving. We were pulling over every 20 minutes to vomit. At about 11pm-12am I was speeding to get home as quick as possible because we were just throwing up everywhere. I then got another speeding fine around 2am. We didn't want to go to a hospital because we knew it was just a stomach bug. There was no hotel rooms open at that time and we were in the middle of nowhere.

Is it possible to refute the speeding fine as we were all really sick and needed to get home as soon as possible. Or is it not worth it?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
I suggest you write a letter to Civic Compliance explaining the circumstances. They may exercise some discretion however you don't have a valid lawful defence to the charge/s.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Don't waste your time. You didn't have a life threatening condition and you were not racing to one. Anything less carries no weight.

I understand your situation but the law doesn't. The law's response is if you are not fit to drive, then don't drive.

Reactions: Hayder Shkara

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Or is it not worth it?

Not worth it unless you go to court and the points are important to you then you could ask for leniency from the court.