ACT Will Friend Still Receive Speeding Fines in the Mail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Calculus

21 June 2016
Hello.

My friend got pulled over the other day for speeding on his motorbike. He was driving unregistered and didn't have his p plates. He was kind to the officer and told him straight up that he was unregistered. The officer then asked him where he lived, why he was speeding, and what he did for a job.

He answered truthfully and said he had no reason for speeding. The officer then asked him to leave his bike and said that he can't drive it till it's registered and told him the risks of driving unregistered. He wasn't told anything about speeding fines and wasn't given an on the spot fine. He left.

So two questions:

If he wasn't told about a fine, will he still get a fine in the mail?

And,

If he does get a fine in the mail, does he have the right to withdraw from it because he wasn't told anything about getting a fine?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If he wasn't told about a fine, will he still get a fine in the mail?

Quite likely.

If he does get a fine in the mail, does he have the right to withdraw from it because he wasn't told anything about getting a fine?

No. If one does arrive, he can fight it in court but he cannot decide to 'withdraw' from a fine.

What is done is done. Being friendly to the copper might have saved a fine or two but your mate is still going to pay for his stupidity, just a matter now of how much.

Calculus

21 June 2016
So is there any chance that he may have just been let off easy and not given anything?

I just find it weird that the officer didn't say anything about fines and didn't give him an on the spot fine.

Quite likely.

No. If one does arrive, he can fight it in court but he cannot decide to 'withdraw' from a fine.

What is done is done. Being friendly to the copper might have saved a fine or two but your mate is still going to pay for his stupidity, just a matter now of how much.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
So is there any chance that he may have just been let off easy and not given anything?

I just find it weird that the officer didn't say anything about fines and didn't give him an on the spot fine.

There is a chance. Maybe the copper will forget to file the paperwork :)...wait a moment...just watching some pigs fly past my window.

The copper may have mentioned something about speeding fines. Doubt your mate was taking in everything being said to him, things like possible jail time, loss of vehicle, what would girlfriend/parents say, etc., were probably going through his mind at the time rather than fully listening.

He can always ring the police station and ask if they are going to fine him. Don't recommend it :)

All he can do now is wait, reflect on his bad behaviour, and hope for the best.