VIC Speeding Fines and Redlight Fines Demerit Points?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

florry

28 January 2017
I recently got two fines relating to two different traffic notice infringements which occurred at exactly the same time.

Speeding fines - 53 km in 40 zone - 3 demerit points - $311 fine and going through a red light - 3 demerit points - $389 fine. Occurring in the city on Flinders Street whilst going through the William Street intersection.

Even though I cannot remember doing anything wrong at the time, I must have lost concentration for whatever reason. I'm not disputing the incident. But is it normal that the penalty for such an offense to be $700 fine and 6 demerit points?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Unfortunately that intersection is notorious. You can view the photos online. However other than a letter requesting discretion there is not much you can do.

florry

28 January 2017
Thanks for that Tony.

Another problem I have become aware of is that these 6 demerit points will take me to 13 within the last three years, which I presume will cause my license to be suspended... 3 months I presume?

Looking back at past demerit points charged to me, one incident on 6/5/15 (involving 3 points) was not mine. It was actually a speeding fine my son was involved with but we erroneously neglected to nominate him at the time.
Can we correct the error?

And have that infringement removed from my record and have it re-assigned to him him so long after the fact?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
I have been successful in having fines reversed as long as they are not more than one year old. This would then have the effect of reversing points. If too old the you will get an option letter (go12 months but if you get one pint then 6 months license loss).

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hi Tony,

What law restricts reverses to 12 months?

And is it possible to use s 27(c) Limitation Of Actions Act 1958 (Vic) to seek and extension? Normally not worth the effort in most situations but might be OK in this case.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Hi Tony,

What law restricts reverses to 12 months?

And is it possible to use s 27(c) Limitation Of Actions Act 1958 (Vic) to seek and extension? Normally not worth the effort in most situations but might be OK in this case.

Civic Compliance will generally not reverse old fines because if over one year they are statute barred from charging a new person (hence their reluctance).