NSW sold van issues

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ASalem

12 March 2020
Hi
I sold my van about 10 days ago and the buyer contacted me now claiming that I lied to him about how much rego left on it and want to return it back or send me to court! I didn't lie to him about anything and I told him everything clearly, he is sending me that he will report to police and will take me to court! Shall I respond to him? should I take the van back?

rjm

2 February 2020
You've nothing to worry about. I'm assuming that you're being truthful, but even if you weren't it's his word against yours. The police aren't interested, it's a civil issue, not criminal. If you're a new Australian he's probably just trying to scare you, knowing that you might not be familiar with the law. No offence intended, your family may well of been here for generations.
If you're worried about it & want to avoid any trouble perhaps offer to refund the registration amount that he's arguing over. If you do that though, get it in writing. Something along the lines of, "There was a misunderstanding in regard to the amount of registration remaining on the vehicle. The buyer thought there was 6 months when in fact it was 3 months. As a gesture of good will I have refunded to him 3 months worth registration. That amount is $****."
Print or write out 2 copies, sign it yourself & get him to sign it.
Like I said though, there's really nothing he can do & you definitely don't need to take the van back.