NSW Social Media and Defamatory remarks

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mr_smith

7 October 2020
Hi Everyone,
I have a few questions about Social Media, particularly Facebook and alleged defamatory posts made by a user.
Apologies is this is long winded.

If a person posts a comment on a Facebook Page, lets say a particularly Church's Facebook page and the comment was deemed to be in fact defamatory, could they (The church diocese) take legal action?
The comment was in the lines of "This is just another example of said church sleeping with the Government"

From my understanding, under Section 9 of the Defamation Act, companies with 10 or more employees or which are formed for something other than financial gain cannot sue for defamation.
I would assume a church is still an organisation and a particularly large one at that, and would fall under these two categories.

If another member of that page took offense to the so called defamatory comment, could they take action against the person who posted that said comment?
Again, from my understanding. A recent decision by the Supreme Court of New South Wales, upheld by the NSW Court of Appeal, has determined that administrators of Facebook pages may be considered the ‘publishers’ of posts by others, and may therefore be liable for defamatory comments. It is also up the the page administrators to monitor or hide the comments.

I personally do not believe said comment defamed a person and/or the Church either directly or indirectly, or is capable of doing so.
I also do not believe the said comment is likely to:

• cause the Church to be shunned, shamed or avoided by worshipers;
  • adversely affect the reputation of the Church in the minds of right-thinking members of society; or
  • damage to the churches professional reputation by suggesting a lack of qualifications, skills, knowledge, capacity, judgment or efficiency in his or her trade, business or profession.
I may be totally incorrect on all this so hoping to get some professional clarification.

Thank you for your time.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
so hoping to get some professional clarification.
People pay for professional clarification.

Look again at s.9(2)(a) of the Act you quoted. You appear to have misunderstood its meaning as not-for-profits can make a claim.

The comment made does not appear to be defamatory.

Happy to also provide a professional clarification. :)

Reactions: mr_smith

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
In addition to what Rod stated, "serious harm" is an element for defamation and in the case of an excluded corporation, it must be "serious financial loss". See section 10A (1) and (2). Claiming that a generic "opinion" of that nature could cause "serious financial loss" is not only a stretch, but in my "opinion", outright absurd.
If another member of that page took offense to the so called defamatory comment, could they take action against the person who posted that said comment?
Of course not - the comment doesn't relate to any individual whatsoever. Only the target of the comment could possibly have any cause of action and that is the church.

Reactions: mr_smith

mr_smith

7 October 2020
Thank you all for your replies and your clarifications. This is really appreciated.
Kind regards