NSW Sexual assault In 1989. Is it too late to report?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pixie70

15 November 2017
i was wondering whether to bring charges to a man who sexually assaulted and tried to kill me in 1989. I spoke to him online and have a confession and apology. Would this count as evidence and is it too late to have him prosecuted? I live in the Uk but would be willing to travel if necessary.

Pixie70

15 November 2017
Many years ago (1989) when I was 21 I was assaulted and beaten by a man I was with. He tried to r**e me but couldn't, he striped my clothes off, broke my jaw, tries to strangle me and kept me as a prisoner for 2 days. I recently contacted him on Facebook and he apologised and admitted the crimes without going into details of them. Not sure if this would get a conviction or not. I don't want to let this lie. Many thanks in advance for any help. I am from Ireland.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Ok well first of all, good for you to have the courage to confront him. Now if he is willing to admit the crime on Facebook, perhaps he is willing to confess the crime to police? Did you ask him that? If he is truly remorseful, he may indeed be willing to do that?

Now in Australia, the burden of evidence can sometimes be very 'lite', its not like America at all where you actually need real evidence to get a conviction. I have seen plenty of cases of people convicted in Australia based on evidence that would be classed as 'circumstantial' in America. So it can be much easier to get a conviction in this country without much evidence at all. So the point is, you have nothing to lose to report this to police and see what happens?

Reactions: Pixie70

Pixie70

15 November 2017
Ok well first of all, good for you to have the courage to confront him. Now if he is willing to admit the crime on Facebook, perhaps he is willing to confess the crime to police? Did you ask him that? If he is truly remorseful, he may indeed be willing to do that?

Now in Australia, the burden of evidence can sometimes be very 'lite', its not like America at all where you actually need real evidence to get a conviction. I have seen plenty of cases of people convicted in Australia based on evidence that would be classed as 'circumstantial' in America. So it can be much easier to get a conviction in this country without much evidence at all. So the point is, you have nothing to lose to report this to police and see what happens?
Thank you!