VIC Secondhand BMW Car Purchase - Warranty issues

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alan Ward

28 April 2017
Hi, my name is Alan.

Advice please

I just recently bought a second-hand car that was just over ten years old from a car dealer in Victoria, and therefore it did not fall under the statutory warranty - didn't know this at the time. It has done 78,000ks. One month after I bought it, I had to replace the rocket cover gasket and vacuum pump at cost of 2.2K. The dealer chipped in $250 and manage to talk the aftermarket warranty provider to chip in $500 (out of good will). One month later, I am now getting the car look at for excessive oil consumption, which could/would be related to 'valve cover lifter' problems. If this is the case, I took it to another dealer (BMW) who has estimated that it would be around 5.5K to fix correctly. It appears that the aftermarket warranty provider does not cover this.

Before I contact the dealer about this, do I have any rights under these circumstances? I have only had the car just over 4 months and it was sold to me with no reported defects. I will get an assessment report from BMW next Wed, May 4, which I also have to pay for - $220.

Please get back if you can.