WA Car bought from dealership has major recurring faults

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jools

29 March 2019
Hi all,

I really hope someone can help me with this. In December 2017 we bought a car from a trusted (ie brand name) dealership. During the purchase, I made it clear that I needed a reliable car for work as I would be doing a bit of country driving (WA so very isolated driving). We purchased a 2016 car with only 13,300kms on the odometer. The dealership assured us that the car had only been used by their own salespeople. The car has a manufacturers warranty until August, 2019.

In December 2018 the gearbox failed (on Christmas Day!) leaving us stranded as a family member's house. The car had only 20k kms approx (might have been 23k) on the odometer by then. I shudder to think if this had happened when I was out in the country with no mobile service! We contacted the dealership and they arranged a tow truck and a temporary car at no cost for us.

The dealership had to replace the entire gearbox which took them a few weeks. When we finally got our car back, they assured us that the gearbox was a new upgraded one and we should not have anymore problems.

Well, tonight, less than three months later, the gearbox has blown again.

My question is, are we entitled to a refund considering that the car has had two major faults since we purchased it and it is still under warranty? The current odometer reading is 30,715kms.

Thank you all in advance for your help!!