NSW Rights of beneficiary in home

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Julee

14 April 2019
Hi, there is a situation where there is a dispute which is escalating. There are two executors who are also the parties in the dispute. The executors are also the two beneficiaries. One of the executors lives in the home of the estate. They are denying access to the home to the other executor. They can't do that can they? as the other party is an executor don't they have a legal right to be able to enter the premises?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Is the house the ongoing, everyday, established home of one executor?
Or, was that executor (so to speak) "living at Dad's place?"

Jacqui Brauman

15 January 2016
Victoria
www.tbalaw.com.au
The executor in the home could have a conflict of interest between their own interests and their role as executor.
The executor in the home cannot exclude the other executor. Yes, the other executor has a right to be able to enter and secure the property on behalf of the estate.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
The executor in the home could have a conflict of interest between their own interests and their role as executor.
Indeed.
This is the basis of my question above.
The executor in the home cannot exclude the other executor.
Yes, the other executor has a right to be able to enter and secure the property on behalf of the estate.
I agree, so far as the scenario is something like "living with Dad at Dad's house".
Also in play is the question best described in everyday language as
"an adult who never left home" vs " an independent adult who moved back in to look after ageing parent".

However, if it wasn't "Dad's home", but rather, was a house owned by the deceased, but
occupied by one descendant as their own home, then it can be different.

For instance
  • a residential tenancy is not always and automatically extinguished by the death of a landlord;
  • In NSW, an executor's power(s) do not include a general right* to enter land without the consent of an otherwise lawful occupant (such as a tenant);
    In such a case, an executor has the same obligations as a landlord to give notice, arrange reasonable times, etc,
    just as the tenant still has their existing obligations in regard to enabling a landlord's "normal" right of inspection.
  • Certainly an executor has no power to force entry, nor to enter land in the absence of a lawful occupant, without that occupant's consent.
It's also important to understand that before an executor can do anything at all,
there has to be a Grant of Probate.
The Grant is the legal point at which an executor's powers commence.
In NSW, between the moment of death and the Grant of Probate, the estate vests in the Public Trustee,
and the executor's powers have not yet come into effect.
This can matter because an executor cannot do anything until they are formally in office.

------------------------------------
* there are the usual special circumstances - urgent repairs etc

Julee

14 April 2019
Thank you for your responses. The one living in the property has been living there for about 5-6 years. They do own other properties but for various reasons are not able to/ will not reside in them. They have stated that it is their family's home. Just to be be clear they have consented to an activity taking place, they have just stated that the co-executor cannot enter the premises.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
In this post, I'm using that words "landlord" to refer to the non-resident executor,
and "occupant" to refer to the resident.
It can be helpful to understand that when lawyers say "land",
the term means not just the physical ground, but also all and any buildings on it.
Just to be clear...
I'm afraid it isn't.

The term "an activity taking place..." has no meaning.
Less riddle-laden language will help.

Thing being, that "an activity" could be anything from entering to make repairs,
through to having a large party at the premises (eg your nephew's 21st in the large garden).

So, I'll take a wild guess here...
Are we talking something like
Executor 1 (occupant): "Yes, you can come and
<make whatever repairs> / <do whatever maintenance>
Just don't come in the house."

Executor 2: "F**k you. As the executor, I'm effectively your landlord,
so I can go anywhere I want.
And if I want to use the bathroom while I'm <fixing the decking>,
then I can, no matter that you say."
or maybe
"Executor 1 (occupant):
Yes, you can have my nephew's 21st in the garden.
Just don't let them come in the house."

Executor 2: "F**k you. As the executor, I'm effectively your landlord.
And if I want to let my party guests use the inside bathroom,
then I can, no matter that you say."
That's more like an occupant exercising their right to (mostly) exclusive use
(which right, by the way, extends to the boundaries of the property, not just to the dwelling itself).

I don't see the landlord being right on either count in either of the above (wild-guess) scenarios.
I don't see here a landlord gets to "stretch" a consensual, conditonal, specific purpose entry
into a general right to enter the house.
Similarly, I don't see an executorhsip as creating a right to, say, enter and inspect without notice,
let alone to, say, have a private party in what is, effectively, somebody else's back yard.

Last edited:

Julee

14 April 2019
So if I am reading this right. The tenant is within their rights to refuse entry. But is still keeping within their obligations to allow entry for the purpose of say a valuation to occur.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
An executor, by virtue of that office alone, does not, in the normal course of events,
have any rights or powers in excess of those of an ordinary landlord.

Just ask the question to which you actually want the answer, eh?

Julee

14 April 2019
Thanks and you answered it :) The one living in the house is within their rights to refuse entry to the other executor providing they allow a valuation to occur... that is allow other parties to go into the home. Sorry for being ambigious, I was after the legal standing here was worried the politics of the situation would cloud the issue.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
One last thing - sharks parasites real estate agents
don't make valuations unless they are (personally) a licensed valuer (most are not).

They give a no promises guesstimate of what they think the house will bring if sold.

The next thing that will come up?
That will be that the non-resident executor will want "their share of the house", and attempt to force its sale.