NSW Right to found lost property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
12 June 2018
Just found myself in a bit of a dilemma and would love some assistance.
I found a new iPhone X on a train a few months back and genuinely tried contacting the owner but to no avail so handed into police under the proviso that if no one claimed it in three months I could have it.
Went to ask for it back this Friday and was told it was at a new station before today being told that I could not have it back as it may contain sensitive personal information.
Is that really genuine? The phone is fully locked and even so could be completely reset in front of the police and would love to know my rights as wouldn’t mind an extra bit of cash rather than it being destroyed.
In Nsw if that helps

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You found, you are entitled to it. If police continue to refuse you need to take it to court. Make sure though you object sooner rather than later. i think they have a set time before disposing of it.

Record the station it is at and who you speak with and on what date, in case you need it for court.