Reneging On Agreed Quote Price

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jarob

25 December 2018
Hi All,

In early 2018 and late 2018 I got quotes from a Children's Contact Centre via email. Regarding travel I was quoted $20 per visit.

After the quotes I pursued and successfully go that Contact Centre into the family court orders to use that business. I could only use this Contact Centre and no one else.

In my first invoice I was charged $20 for travel, in the second $50 and in the 14th and subsequent invoices charged $100 travel per visit. A 400% increase from the quote price. So far around $1500 more than if I was charged at the quoted rate.

I paid those invoices due to the fact this centre write reports that family law judges read and was very anxious about making any noise. Recently I enquired as to why the travel costs inflated so much and it was communicated to me its because they made a mistake on the distance travelled and due to fuel price inflation. A mistake isn't my issue and fuel price inflation is absurd because there has actually been huge deflation in fuel prices as we all know.

I was always on the understanding quotes are legally binding after both parties agreed to the price and service or goods.

Is there anyone that can advise me on what legal grounds I have as a basis to redeem costs, if so how do I go about it? The Contact Centre is in Queensland.

Regards,

The answer should be in the contract for services. Did the quote say fixed or estimate?

Jarob

25 December 2018
Hi Suzi,

The contract for services does detail travel and if the business were to adhere to their very own terms travel would in fact be free. The quoted costs in the 2 emails are fixed.

Thanks for the reply,
Jarob

Jarob

25 December 2018
Surprising in a legal forum such as this is that my post got very little attention. I thought posters would be all over it!! No answers here ...

Atticus

6 February 2019
Is there anyone that can advise me on what legal grounds I have as a basis to redeem costs, if so how do I go about it?
First .. direct negotiation with the provider .... next possibly consumer affairs involvement to mediate ..... Lastly, take them to small claims court

Atticus

6 February 2019
Probably worth taking contract to a lawyer for opinion on whether thier is grounds to make a small claim (may be able to get first appointment free) then up to you to take it further yourself or seek legal support if grounds are solid enough