QLD Received Notice for Obstructing Police - Do I Need a Solicitor?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

blueink

26 January 2016
Hey, I have never been in trouble with the law before or seen the inside of a courthouse. Before I begin I'll give a quick rundown of who I am.

I graduated last year from uni with a bachelor's of mechanical engineering. This led me to get a position with a large company in Toowoomba which I started this week. I am getting married in April and just bought a house last week for the move to Toowoomba.

I went out with a few mates to a hotel on Saturday night for dinner and drinks. We were fairly intoxicated as it was my going away dinner/night out. At 2:30am, my mate began to dance with a cleaner who was cleaning up a mess on the dance floor. This led to security kicking us both out. we were met outside by a team (6) of police.

A couple of them grabbed my mate and arrested him. I was very confused and began to ask them why they were doing this. This led to me being arrested and was given a notice to appear before the court for "obstructing police". Is this something I need a solicitor for?

I feel like the police were on a massive power trip and the correct thing to do would have been to just let us walk home. I felt their actions were completely unnecessary and if anything, they should have given us a notice for public nuisance (being intoxicated). The other thing is the court appearance is in Caboolture, however, i have now moved to Toowoomba for the new job.

What are my best options under Criminal Law?

P.S. The officer also put the wrong postcode on the court notice. I don't know if this is something that can void the court notice as it has the wrong information on it?

Thank you for your help

sammy01

27 September 2015
You might get a section 10 bond. It is not a criminal conviction. Your best bet is to plead guilty and ask for the bond. It might be cheaper to get a solicitor to show up and represent you in absentia.

blueink

26 January 2016
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the ignorance but what's the consequences of a section 10 bond? Also is there a greater chance of me getting delt with harder if I have a solicitor represent me in absentia because I'm not there?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hey, I have never been in trouble with the law before or seen the inside of a court house. Before i begin ill give a quick rundown of who i am. I graduated last year from uni with a bachelors of mechanical engineering. This led me to get a position with a large company in Toowoomba which i started this week. I am getting married in april and just bought a house last week for the move to Toowoomba. I went out with a few mates to a hotel on saturday night for dinner and drinks. we were fairly intoxicated as it was my going away dinner/night out. at 2:30am my mate began to dance with a cleaner who was cleaning up a mess on the dance floor. This led to security kicking us both out. we were met outside by a team (6) of police. a couple of them grabbed my mate and arrested him. I was very confused and began to ask them why they were doing this. This led to me being arrested and given a notice to appear before the court for "obstructing police". Is this something i need a solicitor for? I feel like the police where on a massive power trip and the correct thing to do would have been to just let us walk home. I felt there actions where completely unnecessary and if anything they should have given us a notice for public nuisance (being intoxicated). The other thing is the court appearance is in caboolture however i have now moved to toowoomba for the new job.. what are my best options?
Yes, you need a solicitor.

ps. The officer also put the wrong postcode on the court notice. I dont know if this is something that can void the court notice as it has the wrong information on it?

Thank you for your help
Nah. That notice is valid.