Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Received Notice for Obstructing Police - Do I Need a Solicitor?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by blueink, 26 January 2016.

1. blueink

blueink Member

Hey, I have never been in trouble with the law before or seen the inside of a courthouse. Before I begin I'll give a quick rundown of who I am.

I graduated last year from uni with a bachelor's of mechanical engineering. This led me to get a position with a large company in Toowoomba which I started this week. I am getting married in April and just bought a house last week for the move to Toowoomba.

I went out with a few mates to a hotel on Saturday night for dinner and drinks. We were fairly intoxicated as it was my going away dinner/night out. At 2:30am, my mate began to dance with a cleaner who was cleaning up a mess on the dance floor. This led to security kicking us both out. we were met outside by a team (6) of police.

A couple of them grabbed my mate and arrested him. I was very confused and began to ask them why they were doing this. This led to me being arrested and was given a notice to appear before the court for "obstructing police". Is this something I need a solicitor for?

I feel like the police were on a massive power trip and the correct thing to do would have been to just let us walk home. I felt their actions were completely unnecessary and if anything, they should have given us a notice for public nuisance (being intoxicated). The other thing is the court appearance is in Caboolture, however, i have now moved to Toowoomba for the new job.

What are my best options under Criminal Law?

P.S. The officer also put the wrong postcode on the court notice. I don't know if this is something that can void the court notice as it has the wrong information on it?

Thank you for your help

2. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

You might get a section 10 bond. It is not a criminal conviction. Your best bet is to plead guilty and ask for the bond. It might be cheaper to get a solicitor to show up and represent you in absentia.

3. blueink

blueink Member

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the ignorance but what's the consequences of a section 10 bond? Also is there a greater chance of me getting delt with harder if I have a solicitor represent me in absentia because I'm not there?

4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Yes, you need a solicitor.

Nah. That notice is valid.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...