NSW Rear Ended another Car who fully stopped while I was changing lanes

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James125

21 July 2019
The accident happened while I was trying to change to the ramp exit lane. There's another car already in the exit lane, the exit lane is the same lane used by cars to enter the road where I'm at when they're coming from an intersecting road. I saw the other car on my passenger side mirror, I signaled left and eased on the pedal to let the other car pass so I can change lane. I saw a safe distance between me and the other car and I took it, I never rear ended another car before since I got my license almost 20 years ago and I based my lane changing decision on that same driving experience. As I was about to finish my lane change when the other car suddenly fully stopped and I reacted accordingly by slamming on the brakes. Unfortunately, my car's front driver side still managed to hit the other car's rear passenger side bumper. It damaged the other car's passenger side bumper, didn't seem to damage the rear light nor its side. I believe I did all what's required to drive safely, but the sudden full stop in a 70km/h road while I was about to complete the lane change to the exit lane wasn't enough for me to avoid the car crash. I believe the other car was not intending to stay on the exit lane but was wanting to eventually go to my original lane based on where the other driver lives. The other driver admitted for fully stopping but said that I was the one who hit the back of their car. The thing is I also don't have insurance, I'm about to sell the car and was thinking not to get insurance plus I consider myself a relatively safe driver.

The other car is a fast sports car, capable of 4.4 sec 0-100kmh car and it is expensive. I don't have insurance and would appreciate some feedback. Thank you so much for reading my post.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Sorry, but as the driver doing the rear-ending here, this one's all you.

What will happen now is that he will claim on his insurance, and his car will be repaired.
Then, in due course, you will be sued by his insurer for their loss in paying his claim.
This may come in weeks, or months, or not for several years.

As to not being insured, well... you took the gamble
of going uninsured, and you lost.

James125

21 July 2019
Thank Tim,

Before I close this one, any second or third opinion on how I may not be at fault or just partially at fault? I'd like to think that I'm not fully at fault, drivers are not supposed to suddenly go to a full stop on a 70km/h road.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Hey James,

Pretty much if you hit someone from behind it's always your fault.

You're required to maintain a safe stopping distance at all times and you're required to be paying attention at all times.

Both of those criteria mean that you colliding with the car in front of you makes this your fault unfortunately.
Despite the other driver slowing/stopping for a reason you might not agree with you should have maintained a sufficient gap (3 seconds is a common recommendation) and been able to avoid collision.