WA Changing lane accident

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Faizan Zulfiqar

29 April 2017
Wilson
Hi! I have a querie regarding an accident occurred on 6th feb 2017. I was driving on leach highway and was on the top left lane.i was about to take an exit towards kwinanan free way. When a car on my right lane changed the lane and came directly infront of the. The driver did not checked her blindspot and in result to that my cars left corner hit the right back corner of her car. There was a trailer hitch installed at the back of her car.but that didn't touch my car. She changed lane so close to me that i didn't have time to stop. And when my car hit her car, her car was not all the way in my lane. Now her insurance company want me to pay 2000 dollors and i didn't have insurance at that time. Please guide me what can i do.. And i have a eye witness too he came and told her at the spot that it was her fault and gave me his details and number that he will stand by me.
Please guide me

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Faizan,
It sounds to me like the insurance company has either been misinformed by their customer or they are just being dicks. If I have it right the other person merged into your lane so they are in the wrong. If it were me I would stand my ground.

Reactions: Faizan Zulfiqar

Faizan Zulfiqar

29 April 2017
Wilson
Hi Faizan,
It sounds to me like the insurance company has either been misinformed by their customer or they are just being dicks. If I have it right the other person merged into your lane so they are in the wrong. If it were me I would stand my ground.
Thanks mate for the reply. I am a bit relieved from the stress, thanks to you. They sent me a letter asking me to write my side of the story. But i am bit confused that they will find some loophole from my written statement and use it against me.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Faizan,
I wouldn't be surprised that they are trying to find a way of proving you negligent so they don't have to pay out on the incident. This is usually why you would set your insurer onto their insurer. You do need to be careful how you word your response and don't admit blame.

Reactions: Faizan Zulfiqar

Vince22

20 April 2017
Hi Faizan......If you are worried about how to word your response, make an appointment with Legal Aid. Are you aware of their services? I think the cost is very low, they might be able to advise you on how to word it correctly if you have a meeting with their lawyer. If you do this....reply to insurance company, stating that you are getting legal advice and will answer them after you have had a meeting with your lawyer. That will show the insurance company you are serious about defending your claim too.

Faizan Zulfiqar

29 April 2017
Wilson
Hi Faizan,
I wouldn't be surprised that they are trying to find a way of proving you negligent so they don't have to pay out on the incident. This is usually why you would set your insurer onto their insurer. You do need to be careful how you word your response and don't admit blame.
Yeah exactly! That's what i am really worried about. I know i am right but still i am worried that i might have to pay even though it's not fault. Giving away $ 2000 is already a bad feeling and icing on cake it's even worse when you are right and you have to kneel just because some one is clever in tricking others. It's a worse feeling.

Faizan Zulfiqar

29 April 2017
Wilson
Hi Faizan......If you are worried about how to word your response, make an appointment with Legal Aid. Are you aware of their services? I think the cost is very low, they might be able to advise you on how to word it correctly if you have a meeting with their lawyer. If you do this....reply to insurance company, stating that you are getting legal advice and will answer them after you have had a meeting with your lawyer. That will show the insurance company you are serious about defending your claim too.
I was taking this under consideration but i am worried that i might have to pay eventually and besides that i had to pay law firm too, that will be a disgusting feeling. But what else can i do. Thank you for your reply.