LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

WA Readers Digest Sent Book Without Asking - Now Debt Collectors?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Pius k Augustine, 28 February 2015.

1. Pius k Augustine

Readers Digest had sent me a book called "Foods that Harm" without my request/subscription and they are asking payment for that. I told them I don't need it and asked them to take it back, but they keep on disturbing me, and now they've handed it over to debt collectors.

Where should I complain about this, either in the Australian Consumer Law forum, or initiate legal action against them?

2. Ponala

Ponala Well-Known Member

http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/content/the_acl/downloads/sales_practices_guide_dec_2011.pdf

Ivy and Paul Cott like this.
  3. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

4. Pius k Augustine

thanks Ponala and Ivy. I have lodged a complaint with dep. of commerce consumer protection.But debt collectors are threatening that they are going to the court to enforce GARNISHEE ORDER or by WRIT OF EXECUTION. What is it? are they going to hang me?

5. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Pius,

A Garnishee order allows claimants (in this case the debt collectors) to recover money from your pay, bank account or people who owe you money. A Writ of Execution allows a Sheriff or similar to take possession of one or more items of your property. These item/s are sold the proceeds are used to repay the debt.

6. Pius k Augustine

Hi Ivy,
    Good on you Ivy,thousands of thanks and could you please tell me whether at this stage should I authorise a lawyer to represent me toavoid the risk of being ex-party. Court won't issue a verdict without allowing a chance to the accused to air their/his views! Am I right?

7. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Pius,

Yes, I suggest that you contact a lawyer.