ACT Questions Regarding My Separation and Divorce

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aakash

2 December 2015
Hi,

I am a 32-year-old male, Australian Citizen currently residing in India. I am separated from my wife for the past 11 months +, and our 12 months separation will finish on 1st Jan 2016. I have a 2 and half-year-old boy who lives with his mother.

I had left Australia just because it was impossible to stay together. In terms of finances, when I left Australia we had a house with equity worth around 100K and 3 businesses with a balance of around 500K. These businesses are under her name only, they are Pty Ltd. We have another business in which I am 100% shareholder. The worth of that business is around 200K (my share). House is jointly owned.

My questions are:
1) Should I take the divorce in India or Austraila?
2) Am I not financially stable to support her anymore?
3) I really want my kid to be with me. How do I do that? He is with her mother and do visit me every day in India as she has been in India for past 3 months at her parent's place.
4) Are there anything else I need to do prior to my application?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Where did you get married India or Australia?
It might be worth consulting a local lawyer in the state of Australia where your properties and businesses are. Click Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You to be put in touch with a local lawyer.