QLD Queensland Police and Drug Offence Queries

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gary

2 November 2014
Firstly, I have a lawyer. In November 2015, my room in the boarding house that I live in was raided and Drugs were seized as were utensils namely scales and a glass pipe.

In the documents submitted to the court by Queensland Police was an offence committed in 1992.

I had forgotten all about this offence but I can say that no conviction was recorded against my name and that the offence in 1992 is not of the same nature as the current allegations

QUESTION: Can the police in Queensland submit a matter that was dealt with at a Magistrates level for an offence that happened 23 years ago and for which no conviction was recorded?

QUESTION: If this is not admissible, then haven’t the police tainted or besmirched my character, and attempted to sway the presiding official (the judge?) in doing so?

N Knight

27 December 2015
Gary,
if you have a lawyer - you should really ask him the question.
But in answering your question I would say this.
I have worked within the QLD Criminal Law System. Under the Penalties and Sentencing Act there is a provision in there that says something along the lines of
- the Court must be made aware of any matters(Criminal History)
- only the last 10 years are relevant.
So in essence, it is very unlikely that the matters from 23 years ago would have any impact.