VIC Purchasing Knife from overseas

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by Hail Fire, 5 August 2018.

1. Hail Fire

Hail Fire Member

Hello,

I was wondering if I was able to purchase a specific knife. The closest prohibited weapon it resembles is a dagger but it is longer and non concealable. It is coming from Germany. It is the KM2000 if you need to google it.

Regards,

Hail Fire

2. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified Lawyer

You should be fine. It is likely a 'controlled weapon', but so are kitchen knives. If you have it for a legitimate purpose, including collection, and don't carry it in public, you shouldn't run into trouble.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hail Fire

Hail Fire Member

So does that mean it’s perfectly fine to import from another country? I read that for some knifes you have to fill out a form at your local police station.

4. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified Lawyer

There's an application for importation which is relevant to firearms. I can't see any requirement for knives, and the Department of Home Affairs' website states that fixed blade knives are fine to import. If you're concerned, check with your local police station.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...