QLD Purchased New Car Specs Different to Signed Contract

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ian Dunn

17 July 2014
Hi, I purchased a new car. The contract stated it was a 6 speed auto.
The dealer says the model is not available in 6 speed, only 4, and it was a programming error. He printed out a revised contract and asked me to sign it. I have not done this as yet. All of the paperwork including the car loan finance states 6 Speed. What should I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends on how important a 6 speed gearbox is to you. If one of the main reasons you bought the car is for a 6 speed gearbox you have good grounds for cancelling the contract because the dealer can't supply what you requested.

Ian Dunn

17 July 2014
Thanks, was interested in if it can cause problems in the future as all documents including finance documents state 6 speed ?

Regards

Ian

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Ian Dunn,
Which state/territory are you in?

DennisD

11 July 2014
Hi Ian

Further to the comments from Rod and John, it'd be good to clarify your question

As Rod explains, if 6 speed auto really matters to you, you may have good grounds for cancelling the contract. Is this what you are asking?

Or are you ok with the revised contract (presumably price reduced for the 4 speed auto model), but are concerned about any issues which may arise if the model specified in the revised contract is different to the model specified in other paperwork (including the relevant finance docs)?

It seems from your earlier comment that it's perhaps the second question you're asking, but it'd be good to clarify

Hugh

Ian Dunn

17 July 2014
Hi Ian

Further to the comments from Rod and John, it'd be good to clarify your question

As Rod explains, if 6 speed auto really matters to you, you may have good grounds for cancelling the contract. Is this what you are asking?

Or are you ok with the revised contract (presumably price reduced for the 4 speed auto model), but are concerned about any issues which may arise if the model specified in the revised contract is different to the model specified in other paperwork (including the relevant finance docs)?

It seems from your earlier comment that it's perhaps the second question you're asking, but it'd be good to clarify

Hugh
Hi Hugh, appreciate your time. I am happy to keep the vehicle, I am worried about all documentation regarding regarding the vehicle having the wrong details listed and whether any problems (legal) could arise because of this in the future. Many Thanks. Ian

DennisD

11 July 2014
Hi Ian

At this stage, have you signed the revised contract and finance docs?

There's a lot of paperwork to get through in car purchases, and it can be very time consuming and tedious. Despite this, it's a good idea to check all details closely and make any corrections needed, before committing. This is the case whichever form your finance takes (whether a loan from the dealer or a third party, or hire-purchase agreement, or otherwise)

Hugh