NSW Public WiFi Regulations for Cafes?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Who says you have to?

You may however choose to do so as a matter of prudent business practice.

For example, you may simply want to track and identify users who over-use your service
(such as those who download stuff en masse using your data volume),
or who do so for unlawful purposes - anything from downloading infringing copies of TV shows,
to publishing hate blogs, all the way to distributing criminal content.

You might also want to analyse and compare internet a customer's internet use
to their in-store spend.
For example, you might choose to use software to offer a different level of service
to the users who buy one latte, but still sit on your wi-fi all day,
compared to the guys who spend (say) $20 or$50 or even $100 a day,
sometimes over two full meals and numerous coffees.

24 August 2015
Thanks for your reply Tim,
I know in some countries there is regulatory legislation that means you have to track the users, but this does not seem to be the case in Australia.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I can't remember the rules around wi-fi connections wrt the new data retention laws brought in a month or 3 ago by the Liberals and supported by Labor. This law says you need to retain data for 2 years. Just check to see if your service qualifies (offering Internet access to consumers). I suspect you don't have to worry but worth a call for peace of mind.

Contact the Office of the CAC (Communications Access Co-ordinator) by phone on (02) 6141 2884. They are part of the Federal Attorney-Generals Dept and are supposed to know the answer. Good luck!

FYI many ISPs are not sure what is and isn't covered and neither is the government. Real mess :( No privacy online from the Government. If they want your 'metadata' they'll just tell the ISP to hand it over.