QLD Australian Consumer Law - Sued by Telephone Company - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Harvey

7 November 2015
I signed a 1 year contract with a telephone company cause I want a phone and a wifi connection, then I paid $2000 a month for the connection, but after three or four months, I can no longer pay my bills because of some financial problems. When I didn't pay for a month, they cut off all the connection, so I don't have phone and wifi connection, but then after a few months they sued me for the huge bill even though I never had any phone and wifi connection. What do I do under Australian Consumer Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
$2k/mth?? Sounds like a business plan.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Did you know how much you were to pay prior to the plan starting?
Is this plan for an individual plan or business plan?

Harvey

7 November 2015
One year contract to have the phone and wifi thing. Then I need to pay monthly for $85/month. It's an individual plan.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
How much is your plan per month?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
If you have a contract to pay $85 per month for 12 months - then you will need to pay it until it ends even if you are not connected due to not paying the bill.

Harvey

7 November 2015
Even if I never used the wifi and the phone? They cut the connection off and even though I can't use it, I still have to pay for something I didn't use?

Harvey

7 November 2015
I will pay the bill for the month that I used the wifi and phone, but expecting me to pay even after cutting the connection off is not fair.