QLD Property Valuation - Share Cost?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Complex16

27 July 2016
Compo for injury is a tricky area and you need to look at the breakdown of the payout as it often consists of different components. If a significant portion is for your ex's future needs then there is a strong argument that portion is solely his money.

There are too many unknowns to comment whether 50/50 is fair, especially when a significant asset is the compensation received post separation.

Thanks Rod. Part of the disclosure requirement is that the settlement breakdown be provided in order to view the components however to date this has not been forthcoming.

Complex16

27 July 2016
I had similar situation. Ex refused to pay half for valuations of joint properties prior to final hearing. I paid full amount of valuations so Judge would have all the relevant info at hand and so i wasnt seen to be delaying proceedings. The fact that I paid full amount was stated in my final property orders sought i.e. to have half of valuation paid added to my final settlement received.

Don't know what kind of value of property you're talking here, or how many properties need valuing - just the one? Half the cost of a sworn valuation is what? About $500? Not much in the scheme of things given if you're at final hearing stage I'm sure you've spent thousands already! I know, it's not fair. I had multiple valuations that I forked out for...Better to do what Judge has requested and try to ignore the ex being difficult, possibly just for the sake of being difficult...

Just get it outlined in your orders sought that you want to be re-imbursed. Not guaranteed you'll get it though esp if the Judge decides not to include ex's property in the pool. No one really wins in the end...but good that Judge acknowledged what you both had agreed on previously wasn't fair/equitable.

Thanks heaps... All that makes good sense. I'm not opposed to paying the full cost of the valuation and can certainly see the benefits in doing so. It's just the one property that requires valuation.