QLD Property Title Transfer/Settlement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Misss

8 March 2024
Hello,
I have recently left a 13 year defacto relationship due to Domestic Violence and abuse from him.
Upon doing a Historical Title search, it shows that a title transfer was never registered through the state registery, and has that the property Is 'owned by the state'.
However I've also purchased a name and address search through the council of where the property is located, which clearly states that my ex partner completely owns the property (home and land).
There's no mortgage left to pay and ive always known there was Rates notices which were paid.
I've been informed that I'm unable to include the property into our property pool for settlement until he's transferred the title into his name, even though the house is under his name of ownership through the council.

So my question is...
Can he refuse to register the Title transfer if he knows that will then mean the property will be included In the property pool for settlement, or must he disclose the property as an asset and comply with the necessary settlement requirements and register a title transfer within a certain time frame, so as not to delay the settlement proceedings for his own financial benefit and interest?
I'm concerned he will ignore the title transfer until after our property settlement has been done or after the 2 year time restrictions for claims made after a defacto relationship separation.

I hope I've explained this situation clear enough, as I'm so confused about it all.

Thank you