VIC Property Law - Rights of Unit Owners?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dario Concha

16 August 2016
I am the owner of one unit in a block of four. Somebody else owns the other and the problem of this case owns two. The person owning two has not paid fees for a long time ( $2500 +), while me and the other owner are up-to-date in the fees but the money is not enough to pay everything.

The manager told us two months ago that no money was left in the account. Right now the building has no insurance and this man, without any consultation, fenced up the common area on the back of the building, making it unsafe for emergencies. The last thing he did was sack the manager.

Is he in his right to do whatever he wants under property law? I think he does not have the right to do anything like vote, sack the manager, or complain because he is not paying his fees.

What can be done to stop this and make him pay? The manager is doing nothing about it.

Thanks,

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. Send a demand letter asking for all items to be fixed: Fences, non-payment, other.

2. Take him to court or VCAT when he fails to respond. VCAT is the cheaper option.

Reactions: Dario Concha