Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

TAS Property Law - Possible to Retain Gate When Building New Fence?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Kevron, 1 July 2016.

1. Kevron

Kevron Member

I am erecting a new boundary fence & wish to retain a gateway (has been there since original fence) as an emergency exit. Adjoining owner says "no, cut the fence if and when necessary".

I am elderly, widowed, live alone & a pensioner. If my current entrance becomes inaccessible, I have no other way out or for emergency vehicles to enter my property should the need arise in an emergency situation. I have offered to pay in full for a new gate to replace the current one - do I have the right under property law to do this seeing that the gate exit has been there for the past 50 years?

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Hi Kevron, you do have a right to get what you want since you are paying for half of it ( and in full for the gate). Its up to you to negotiate the repair of the fence with your neighbour - therefore you may need to bargain hard to get what you want. If you can't agree, you can go to mediation or arbitration.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...