TAS Property Law - Possible to Retain Gate When Building New Fence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kevron

1 July 2016
I am erecting a new boundary fence & wish to retain a gateway (has been there since original fence) as an emergency exit. Adjoining owner says "no, cut the fence if and when necessary".

I am elderly, widowed, live alone & a pensioner. If my current entrance becomes inaccessible, I have no other way out or for emergency vehicles to enter my property should the need arise in an emergency situation. I have offered to pay in full for a new gate to replace the current one - do I have the right under property law to do this seeing that the gate exit has been there for the past 50 years?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi Kevron, you do have a right to get what you want since you are paying for half of it ( and in full for the gate). Its up to you to negotiate the repair of the fence with your neighbour - therefore you may need to bargain hard to get what you want. If you can't agree, you can go to mediation or arbitration.